In Our Londonderry Location • (603) 432-9863
Tips on Getting the Garden Ready for Winter
1. Mulch bare spots, newly planted or delicate plants and shrubs
2. Bring sensitive or “indoor” plants inside like tropical mandevilla vine and hibiscus
3. Dig up and store summer bulbs that will not make it through the winter in our zone (5) like Dalia’s and Caladium.
4. Clean up potted perennials like hostas, peonies or really large/tall grasses. Do not clean up everything-most plants like roses can be left until spring.
5. Weed. Keep ahead of the weeding especially the perennial weeds. This will make it easier in the spring
6. Plant Spring Bulbs like Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus, Hyacinth. Wild animals will not eat Daffodils.
7. Clean and Organize containers for spring. It is important to clean them out so insects and disease do not winter over they won’t re-infect newly planted containers in the spring
8. Clean and Sharpen your tools. Benson Lumber offers sharping services- drop them off in Derry or Londonderry
9. Don’t forget Seed starting Supplies for Feb/March and April!
10. Get your bird feeders and bird food ready!
Organocide® Organic Bee Safe Insect Killer Pest Control Spray, Ready-to-Use Bottle, 24 Oz. $9.99
Organocide® Bee Safe Insect Killer is safe to use around beneficial or large insects such as bees, beetles, lady bugs & adult butterflies, when used as directed. It kills the eggs, larvae, nymphs and the adult stages of over 25 soft bodied insects including (but not limited to) Aphids, Hemlock Wooly Adelgid, Citrus Rust Mites, Leafrollers, Mealy Bugs, Scale Insects, Spider Mites, Thrips, Whiteflies, and Fungus Gnats. The Quart Concentrate can be used as a Soil Drench, and is extremely effective at eliminating the life cycle of Fungus Gnats and Mites.
- Dense Oils Suffocate Insects by Contact
- Harvest Same Day
- For Organic Gardening
Organocide Bee Safe 3-In-1 Garden Spray, 24 Oz. $8.99
ORGANOCIDE® Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray is an OMRI listed Insecticide, Fungicide & Miticide. Effective on all stages: eggs, larvae, nymphs and adults, of small soft bodied insects and certain fungal diseases. Safe to beneficial or large insects such as bees, beetles, lady bugs & butterflies, when used as directed. Derived from natural oils: sesame and edible fish oil, to use for organic gardening and it’s safe to use around your home, children & pets, when used as directed. Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray is heavier and more effective than other oils. It is safe enough to spray at harvest time. Use on vegetables, fruits, nuts, vine crops, ornamentals, greenhouse crops, turfgrass, landscape plants, bulbs, flowers and field crops.
- Insecticide, Fungicide, Miticide
- Kills Insects by Contact & Controls Diseases
- Harvest Same Day
- No Petroleum Solvents
- Natural Oils for Organic Gardening
Proven Winners ANNUALS
BrazelBerries JELLY BEAN
TREES & SHRUBS
Endless Summer HYDRANGEAS
Trees, Shrubs and Flowering Plants
All our Trees, Shrubs, Annuals and Perennials are locally sourced from growers in the Northeast. Our trained staff works very hard to take the best possible care of our green goods by watering, pruning and fertilizing when needed. We are committed to providing the best possible solution for our customers’ backyards & landscapes.
Follow Us On Facebook!
Soils, Fertilizers and Mulch
We carry the very best in organic material from Coast of Maine. We are a Master Nursery Garden Center so have exclusive access to Master Nursery branded products such as Bumper Crop Soil Builder. Click on videos below for more information on Coast of Maine Products.
Looking For Patio Furniture?
Fountains & Statuary
Garden Accents & Outdoor Living
If you are looking for something to bring out the best in your backyard landscape whether it’s a beautiful pot for a container garden, art for your outside wall, or the tinkling of water while outside enjoying your private oasis, we have it here at Benson’s Garden Center. We stock the very best in Trellises, Arbors, Fountains, Pond Supplies, Birding, Pottery, Outdoor Furniture and Gift items.
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sat 7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
COVID-19 has been the source of so very many restrictions on our daily life, but, there are no restrictions on gardening! So, get outside, enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. Growing your own food is one of the safest ways to stay healthy during this trying time.
There are many reasons to grow a garden and there is nothing like a home grown veggie! All gardening begins with a plan. The desired site for your garden should have at least six hours of direct sunlight a day (bigger harvest and better taste!). The soil should be loose for root movement; it should also be well-drained to prevent root rot.
Crops must be spaced properly to prevent overcrowding which actually leads to less production. Why? The plants compete for the sunlight and water, and there is no room to grow if not spaced properly. A New Hampshire seed chart https://www.ufseeds.com/learning/planting-schedules/new-hampshire-vegetable-planting-calendar/ can help you make the proper decisions on planting times, harvest dates, and distance between plants which can lead to a successful garden.
Plant your peas, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cabbage at the end of March, early April. These are all cool weather veggies. Tomatoes, Peppers and Cucumbers need warmer weather to grow. If you don’t want to start from seed you can buy the starter plants at most Garden Centers at the beginning of the season. If you need an activity to do with your children get your seeds started inside. Here is an article to help: https://extension.unh.edu/resource/starting-plants-seed-fact-sheet We sell both Coast of Maine Sprouts Island Organic Seed Starting Soil and Miracle Gro Seed Starting Mix.
Some helpful tips:
- Plant in a sunny location. Vegetables need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. The more sunlight they receive, the greater the harvest and the better the taste.
- Plant in good soil. Plants’ roots penetrate soft soil easily, so you need quality garden soil for needed nutrients. (We recommend Bumper Crop Soil made by Coast of Maine)
- Space your crops properly per seed packet instructions. Plants set too close together compete for sunlight, water, and nutrition and fail to mature.
- Buy high-quality seeds. A few “extra” cents spent in spring for that year’s seeds will pay off in higher yields at harvest time.
- A vegetable garden about 16 x 10 can feed a family of four for one summer.